Saturday, September 1, 2012

WHO DOES WHAT ON A FOOTBALL TEAM?


Forgive the somewhat grammatically incorrect title, but I like it.

My Virgo Horoscope today asked me: "Consider that each player's position on a football team comes with its own responsibilities and a specific role to move the team to victory. Which is your choice position in today's 'game'?"

My dear husband and I don't watch much football, but on occasion we become interested in a team for one reason or another. I do understand the basics of the game--but the players' positions? Couldn't tell you the difference between a running back or a tight end. As a result, I do ask questions now and then, and he can tell me everything I need...or want...to know.

Other than the quarterback's role...everybody knows that!...what are some of the positions?

And how can I use this in my life of writing?

First, I want to decide if I'm an Offensive Player or a Defensive Player. Well, this is too easy. I want to be on the Offensive team. They have the ball, for heaven's sake. Why wouldn't I want to have the ball?

So, of the Offensive Players--
The QB passes or hands off the ball
The Center snaps the ball to the QB
The Guards and Tackles keep the defense at bay
The Wide Receivers catch the ball thrown by the QB
The Running Back takes the ball and runs with it
The Tight End blocks the defense and catches passes--
I believe I will be the...wait a minute. To get the ball over the goal line, more than one player must do his job. If I chose to be the Running Back, I'd need the other players to help me catch and run the ball toward the goal line.
When I first began writing stories to pass the time, I was completely on my own. In a way, I had the ball and could do what I wanted with it. Then came a time when I thought someone else should read one of my manuscripts, and quickly learned I couldn't produce a good product without help.

No touchdown on my own.
TOUCHDOWN
That help came in the form of writing friends, writing courses and books, a publisher, a contract, an editor, and finally...distribution sites. Touchdown.

Then came more work to finish the game--promotion.

Writing is relatively simple compared to getting that novel or short story published and promoted.

It takes a village? For a book, it takes a team.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Celia:

    I think golf is a better metaphor for writing success. It’s one person against the course. Other players are there but they stay out of your way. Just beat the course by more than they do, and you can win it all.

    If you were a defensive back, on the other hand, you might intercept a pass all by your self and run it back into the end zone without the help of any blocking. Depends where you intercepted it. No one loves scoring more than the defensive players. Also on defense, you get to beat the living daylights out of the offensive players. Bullies love defense. It all depends why you play the game. : )

    Vince

    P.S. I did get three of your first four Dime Novels. Hope to read them all while on vaction next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Vince--You are so right. Over a year ago I wrote an article titled "Go For The Green." I want to send it to you...here's my email--
    celiayeary@yahoo.com please send me a message so I can respond and send the document. Oh, I know how to play golf!Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good analogy, Celia - even though I don't have a clue about American football (or even English soccer, if it comes to that!).
    At times I feel more like a long distance swimmer, battling against the water all on my own, sometimes riding the waves, and sometimes going under!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula--your analogy is best! I'm fearful of water, so this one does create emotion. Battling upstream, yes, that's what we often do. The going under part scares me--in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Celia:

    I sent you an email. Would love to read your article.

    Paula: I agree. The analogy of the long distance swimmer is the best. It is almost as if you will be pulled under if you don’t keep going. It can also be very lonely. And it takes so long to get your reward. I think the sprinters have it best. In ten seconds the event is over. 

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  6. Celia, all I know about footbal are the high school Friday nights when I had to drive my daughter and her friends because they HAD to attend the weekly game and cheer their friends--the boys. Now let's talk tennis and you won't be able to stop me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MONA--there's an analogy for every sport. Paula used swimming, and oh, how I could relate to hers! Sometimes riding the waves, sometimes getting sucked under...very clear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Celia, what a clever analogy. As far as sports? I think I'd like to be a jockey or maybe a NASCAR driver. Suprised? I guess I just like the challenge of a competitive race.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bullriding. It takes a stock company, bookkeepers, chute people, and bullfighters to even have a ride. But in the end, it's my own stubbornness and skill that determines whether I stuck until the buzzer. There will be times when I fail and the paramedics have to patch me up for the next ride, but you always have to look ahead, never behind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a competitive person son never really got into sports, but I love to write. It never has been competitive to me because of the camaraderie I've had with other writers. You are so right about needing help and support to get your stories out and get them right. I know I have a lot of friends I can lean on for advice to make my stories better. It is a team event to get that book out and then find the right support system. It is an endurance run at best - look at me. It took 22 years for me to reach that goalpost. Promotion is a whole new ballpark, but I am having fun at this point - just 13 days into this part of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paisley--so you could be a long distance runner. It does take endurance, and my goodness, how could we do it all alone? Even self-published (Indie authors) need a lot of help and support. You and I can count ourselves blessed, especially in the friend area and so much support and encouragement. In the end, it is solitary--but knowing we have help out there means so much. Best of luck to you on your promotion learning curve! Now, that's an endurance test.

    ReplyDelete